skyline

skyline

Monday, April 11, 2016

Happy Birthday To Me! Week 34 from Hong Kong

Hello all,

This week was awesome!!!! Two big things happened the first was General Conference and the second was My Birthday!

   I will start with my birthday. It started as soon as the alarm went off. They all jumped out of bed and tickled me awake! That was surprising to say the least! We did some weekly planning and I was able to eat some of the cheese and crackers that I bought so that was great. We also found a place that sold IBC root beer so that was amazing! Most of the day was pretty normal until the end. We went and did some banner finding for our English class in Tai Wai, after that we as a district got subway and had dinner together at the church. Then all of a sudden everyone started singing and they pulled a Thomas the Tank Engine cake out of the fridge! it was too cool! It had my name in Chinese and happy birthday in Chinese Which was great! Best thing I could get! (I'm 19 now for anyone who forgot me) Good Grief!  Who could forget this kid?

On another birthday note... Our "birthday box"  didn't make it in time for his birthday.  He assures us he will take lots of pictures when he opens it sometime this week.


   Then General Conference!!!! It was the best! It is so much better as a Missionary! The Tolo Stake gathered in the Stake center in Tai Po and watched the Saturday sessions. We got to watch in English which was really nice. Some of the members who spoke really good English watched it with us. Then on Sunday we were able to watch it in our Sha Tin building. That was fun. In between sessions the ward had a huge pot luck so we got to eat! One of the youth (Michel Chan) came up to elder Chen and I and gave us both something on a stick, and told us to eat. I smelled it and it smelled like dog food! I asked what it was and he said "just eat it!". So I did and it tasted like dog food! Apparently it was some kind of fish...? 

   Also because General conference happened we are allowed to work without suit coats!!! That should make life a lot more comfortable! 

For those wondering what General Conference is.
Twice each year we get to hear from our our Prophet Thomas S. Monson and many other Church leaders/members.  If you want more information you can check out the link and listen to or read the talks that were given. 

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints General Conference

   That was most of what happened this week. I will add some pictures and tell the stories behind them. 

Love,
Elder Walker

Birthday Cake!!!



Me and root beer!!!

These next two will be understood only by those who know me best!

Pretty picture from a Buddhist monastery turns out it was a Chinese holiday about grave cleaning so there were a lot of people there and sweet ceremony's going on!

Then on the way down there were like 30 monkeys! So cute! they got like within 4 feet of us. That was kinda scary but really cool!

The light in our office broke and so we had to have a romantic daily planning session for two days.

General Conference

The room where English General Conference was shown.

Pancakes Saturday morning before conference! 

 picture of a picture of me Shaking hands with Elder Gary E. Stevenson, President Gong is in the background (both of them spoke in General Conference)


The next two pictures were sent to me by Elder Taylor's mother.  Her son is one of Gordon's roommates.


No comments:

Post a Comment