skyline

skyline

Monday, September 28, 2015

"This week in the MTC" (Week 6)

Hello all,
 
   This week in the MTC went very well. Last Monday evening Elder McGowan and I taught our teacher again. He was playing the investigator A-chern. It went amazingly well. So that was a  massive improvement in our teaching skills and body language.

   This Tuesday we were sad to hear that Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles passed away. Today we were able to watch his funeral live. It was interesting to hear about his life. If anyone is wondering what an LDS funeral is like I recommend watching it. It should be on LDS.org. 

   Then this Wednesday my district and I were able to be host missionaries for those who arrived here. It was an interesting experience seeing it from this side of the action. For those of you who don't know what it is like. A car pulls up to the curb and a host (me) comes up to the door and welcomes the family to the MTC. I help them get their bags out of the car. Then they have about two minuets to say their last goodbyes. It almost felt like I was intruding on a really personal family moment. Then I take the missionary to go get checked in and get their language materials. I got to host about four elders. That was a lot of fun and a good way to break up the day. 

   This week at night we have been teaching Elder Huang (From Taiwan) about English slang. I also have been teaching him a little bit of German. That is always a fun way to end the day.

   The other district of Cantonese missionaries had the last one of their Sisters fast tracked. She left for Hong Kong at 6 this morning. That means that the other district now has no sisters. That is exciting for her but sad for her district. 

   We also realized that the only padded thing that we have is our mattress. Other than that it is hard plastic or ceramic. That further reinforced our realization that the MTC is very much like a prison. A very nice happy and fun prison. But still a prison. Insert eye rolls from mom and dad!

   I'll talk about the lessons that we learned from TRC this week. We taught an old white man who served in Hong Kong in the 60's. He spoke really good Cantonese, however he spoke the old version and it was difficult to understand. He also spent the whole time talking about Confusions so we didn't get to talk very much. Then our other lesson we got in trouble on our report sheet because apparently in Chinese culture it is rude to cross you legs if some one invites you in. We didn't know that though so we didn't feel that bad. Also For TRC we are going to Skype Hong Kong and talk to actual members there. Hopefully that goes well.

   The Hem on the right leg of my suit came out so I am going to have to do some more sewing tonight. It is getting to be really annoying. But I guess I'm getting good at sewing. I'm actually sending him a new sewing kit.  I can't remember him ever having so many clothing rips and tears! But then again, he's never worn dress pants and shirts every day before now.

   Today I also said good bye to Elder (Tate) Masse. He was my last connection to home so now I have three weeks here left alone. Oh well, The three musketeers will just have to meet up in two years and share our stories.

Love you all and hope everything is going well on the outside world!

-Elder Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment